The Mortgage Underwriter provides quality loans for the company by underwriting and evaluating mortgage loan applications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Evaluates loan risk by verifying loan application information and verifying application information against loan criteria guidelines and standards;
- Reviews and verifies all items provided by the borrowers and ensures that they meet the FNMA, FHLMC, FHA, VA and Investor required guidelines;
- Ensures that all investor guidelines as well as Federal guidelines are met;
- Underwrites loan files that fall out of the automated project plan;
- Works on complex assignments;
- Clarifies risk by requesting additional information;
- Provides information by answering questions; responding to requests;
- Maintains customer confidence by keeping application information confidential;
- Provides loan control information by collecting, analyzing and summarizing data and trends;
- Reviews and underwrites for consumer and mortgage loans originated in the assigned regions, assuring compliance with all credit policies and consumer and mortgage lending regulations; assures that the credit quality of the portfolio remains within standards established by senior management; and
- Other work related duties, as assigned.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be proficient with FNMA, FHLMC, FHA, VA and other special loan programs;
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office software;
- Must have basic understanding of accounting and finance;
- Must have knowledge of all applicable federal and state laws and regulations and knowledge of Bank policies and procedures preferred;
- Must have analytical, decision-making and problem solving skills;
- Must have strong attention to detail, and organizational, interpersonal, effective communication skills including customer relation skills;
- Must work independently, be self motivated, reliable and flexible;
- Must be able to pass credit and background screening process.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or related, required;
- Bachelors Degree in a related field is preferred;
- Two (2) to Five (5) years Retail Underwriting preferred;
- Two (2) to Five (5) years FHA, VA, Conventional and JUMBO underwriting experience preferred;
- CHUMS certification preferred; and
- LAPP preferred.